Other Blogs

My Visit to the Merchant's House Museum in New York City

The Merchant's House Museum is a historic house in New York City. I visited the Merchant's House Museum a while back and wanted to share some details about it.  

Photo by Denise Larkin
When I went to New York City, I visited the Merchant's House Museum.

Have you ever heard of it or been there?


I was surprised that there was such a place like it in New York City. It was an interesting place and well worth the visit. Visiting this spooky old house was unique. It gave me chills just to walk around it.


The History and Hauntings of the Merchant's House Museum


Photo by Denise Larkin - The Merchant's House Museum

The Merchant's House Museum was built in 1832 in Manhattan. Gertrude Tredwell was born in this house in 1840 and died in the upstairs' bedroom in 1933 in the bed that is in the photo below (taken by myself). 


Since, the 1930's, there have been reports that suggest that Gertrude Tredwell is haunting the house with strange happenings. Staff, volunteers, visitors, neighbors and even people walking by the house have reported seeing, hearing and smelling things that weren't there. 


Spooky Feelings 

When I was inside the house, I took a few photos. The pictures below were taken of the main bedroom in the house where Gertrude Tredwell was born and died.  


I remember that day. I was sitting down and trying to listen to the sounds in the house. I felt strange and cold. I can remember staring at the bed (in the photo below) and I felt an eerie feeling as if I was being watched.

Photo by Denise Larkin - The bedroom

The Ghost in the Picture


Photo by Denise Larkin - The bedroom

I took these photos as I was sitting on a chair reading about the house. I think the house is definitely haunted, so I wasn't surprised when I took the photo of the bed and saw a figure lying on it. Apparently, as the story goes, quite a few people died in this very bed, which is still in the Merchant's House today. The photo above was taken of the bed and it looks as if it has a ghost lying on it. Can you see it? Look carefully. Tell me what you can see.





What do you think? Can you see a reflection of light over the bed? Could this be Gertrude Tredwell?


I would love to hear what people think of these photos and the Merchant's House Museum.

Watch the video of the Merchant's House Museum:



Please comment below and let me know what you think. For instance, have you been to the Merchant's House Museum? What did you think of it? Can you see anything on the bed?

Please comment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog