Other Blogs

A Trip to Turkey

My time in Turkey turned out to be seven weeks long.  Read all about it here and what I learned and experienced whilst I was there.

Icmeler


Seven Long Weeks in Turkey

Turkey used to be a very cheap place, but now they are catching up with the world. It is still reasonably much cheaper than most places. I spent seven weeks in Icmeler in Marmaris, which was an experience in my opinion. Being away from my family, which consists of a husband and two teenage sons was undeniably very different for me! I was free of housework chores, washing, ironing, and cooking!  I had only myself to look after, which was pretty much a luxurious lifestyle for me. Although I did miss my family and friends, I was determined to enjoy and experience the Turkish countryside and the sun!  I was not there for just fun and pleasure, but for my work too.

The Hotel

The food and the accommodation are always much cheaper than most places in Europe. The currency is Turkish Lira and with this, you will get 2.5 to the sterling pound and 2.25 to the Euro.

During my stay in Turkey, I stayed at a hotel called the [link=http://www.kapmarotel.com/]Kapmar Otel[/link].  This was based in Icmeler, which is only a ten-minute bus ride to Marmaris. This hotel was well equipped with clean and comfortable rooms, a bar and seating areas with a pool and restaurant.  Check it out at the http://www.kapmarotel.com/Kapmar Otel website the food was superb, as I ate there every night and tried nearly every dish from their menu. The breakfast was mostly English continental and lunches from the menu were equally superb.

Icmeler



I stayed in Icmeler for seven weeks.  I was there with the company I worked for called PAL Promotions.  They promote the Blanket trip, which is a free half-day excursion that tour operators promote for us.  We worked with tour operators, such as Thomson and First Choice, so I got to see many different locations and a variety of hotels and apartment complexes whilst working there.

Michael Jackson Impersonator

The nightlife in Icmeler is for everyone. There are restaurants that give entertainment later in the evening, such as shows like Michael Jackosn impersonators, a robot dance, belly dancing, Turkish nights and a waiter's dance where all the waiters get up and dance for their guests. In Icmeler, you can also see the Stella show, which is a one-man drag show who impersonates and mimes to songs by stars, such as, Tina Turner, Cher, Dolly Parton, Shirley Bassey and many more. It is very funny, entertaining and has a twist at the end that turns out to be brilliant. There are, also, many karaoke bars that do competitions and two-night clubs in the area called Eastenders and Pleasure. I attended both of these night clubs and danced to some great up and coming dance tunes that are out in the charts today. The music choice for the Eastenders night club is excellent in my opinion.

Holidays

One thing I really noticed, as my time in Icmeler was passing by, was how there were many single women taking their holidays there on their own. I noticed that most women either come back to look for a Turkish man or they have one already and they are coming to see them. They are looking for a Turkish husband or rather the men look for the English women. The only drawback is that some men are looking for women with money. In my opinion, I would advise all women to be very careful if they meet a man who is suspiciously asking them about their finances all the time. If a man asks for money or says he is in need of money urgently, and then stay away from him!

Most Turkish men are very loving and passionate.  Some are genuine and very kind if you find the right one.  So, be warned, as most do look for women all the time and are on the prowl.  Turkish Muslim men are allowed to have more than one wife! Of course, according to Turkish law, this is forbidden, but this still occurs with Muslims today!

Icmeler Beach

The beach in Icmeler is sandy and has some wonderful sea views. There are water sports to enjoy too. Also, a boat can be taken from here into Marmaris that costs 7 lira per person.  The views are breathtaking and amazing. Another way is by getting the bus, which costs 2 lira per person one way. Also, on Icmeler beach, you can get a massage. The best time for this is in the late afternoon when the sun is not so strong. The only drawback is that you need to check whether that person giving the massage is qualified to do so, as you could end up paying out a lot of money for just a normal back rub!  A lady I met who had a massage on this beach and by the end of that day she was in a lot of pain. The pain radiated all over her back and later found out that the muscles in her back were bruised! So, check these people out before having the massage.

Turkish Baths

Turkey is, also, famous for its Turkish baths. You can book one for 50 lira with a full body massage included. The Turkish oils will help to keep a longer-lasting tan, so this is a good idea to do at the beginning of the holiday.

Icmeler or Marmaris Areas

There are, also, the famous mud baths in Dalyan.  This is a trip that can be booked with your tour operator, such as, Thomson or First Choice.

Mountains

Another way, to see parts of the area and the mountains is by taking a jeep safari.  This trip can, also, be booked by your tour operator. You can, also, take a boat trip over to Rhodes, which takes one hour to get to.  It is a good idea to go if you not have been before.

Take a Holiday to Marmaris

Taking a holiday in Marmaris or Icmeler will in no doubt be an unforgettable experience. The weather is fantastic in summer with temperatures rising to 50 centigrade in July and August.  A self-catering holiday or an all-inclusive are all available in Turkey with some amazing places to see.  It is an adventure you will not forget!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog